The back of a silver pickup truck stuck on the side of a road after an accident.The repercussions of someone else’s negligence can leave you with expensive medical bills, reduced income, car repair estimates, and more difficulties after a car accident. One crucial step before proceeding with an insurance claim is to carefully review the car accident police report.

Typically available within 1-2 weeks of the incident, these reports can be obtained from the responding law enforcement agency, although the process varies in different locations. In this guide, we’ll walk you through obtaining your report and provide essential insights into pursuing your car accident claim in Chowchilla.

Upon receiving your claim, the insurance adjuster will scrutinize the police report, sometimes concluding the injured party is at fault. It’s a scenario we encounter frequently, where individuals feel unfairly denied or shortchanged by insurance companies citing their supposed fault.

At Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law, our dedicated legal team is prepared to address these challenges, tirelessly working to secure the maximum settlement possible. If you or a family member has suffered injuries from a car accident, we encourage you to reach out for a complimentary consultation.

Request Your Chowchilla Police Department Car Accident Report in Person or by Mail

The Chowchilla Police Department requires a completed form, which you can find online. After filling out the form, you can mail it to the police department or drop it off during standard business hours at:

Chowchilla Police Department

130 S. 2nd Street

Chowchilla, CA 93610

The request form asks for the incident number, which should be on a piece of paper supplied by the responding officer. However, if you’ve misplaced this paper, you can include the date, time, and location of the accident so the records officer can locate your report.

You should also list the names and birthdates of the involved parties (just list your own if you don’t know the others).

You will be asked to decide if you want the report mailed to you or if you wish to pick it up in person. Either way, the report will usually be made available within 7-10 days, although it may take longer to reach you in the mail.

If your request is denied or more information is needed, the Chowchilla PD will contact you.

An accident report costs $25. You can pay the fee when you drop off the form in person or include a check if sending it by mail.

Who Can Request a Chowchilla Car Accident Report?

California law permits the release of car accident reports to individuals who have a right or need to know about their contents. In most cases, the following parties can access a report:

  • The drivers
  • Passengers
  • A witness
  • A reporting party
  • Anyone who is injured or suffers property damage in the collision
  • Anyone named in the report
  • The parent or legal guardian of a minor who falls into one of the above categories
  • A representative of any of the above parties

What Else Do You Need for Your Car Accident Claim?

We recommend gathering any evidence related to your case, including photos from the scene. If possible, take extensive pictures after the accident, including shots of the damage to both vehicles, any other property damage, the area where the collision occurred, and your injuries.

Pay close attention to the road and look for tire marks—these can be helpful in determining what happened, so be sure to get pictures of them from multiple angles.

It will also be helpful to collect your medical bills and recommendations for future care—follow-up visits, physical therapy, continued treatment, etc. Your lawyer will use these to estimate the damages you will incur for the insurance claim.

Next, please speak with an experienced personal injury attorney about your case. We will review the details of your accident report to ensure everything is accurate.

If you believe something is incorrect, we’ll investigate, and if we find enough evidence, we might be able to challenge the report.

Sometimes, an accident report indicates that both drivers contributed to the collision. Many clients tell us they weren’t at fault, but California law allows for situations where both parties share responsibility.

This is more common than you might think, and crucially, it does not completely bar you from recovering damages. Instead, each driver is responsible for their own portion of the fault.

For instance, if you are 30 percent at fault, you could still be eligible to recover 70 percent of your damages from the other driver’s insurance.

However, it’s essential that you seek legal guidance if you suspect you might be partially at fault. The insurance adjuster could overestimate how much responsibility you have, leading to higher out-of-pocket costs on your end.

A Fresno car accident attorney will determine a fair estimate of your contributions and fight to ensure you receive an appropriate settlement.

Additionally, the insurance company might also underestimate your damages, failing to consider future costs or discounting your pain and suffering. We’ll work to achieve a fair valuation of your claim before any deductions are made for partial responsibility.

Where Can I Find a Chowchilla Car Accident Attorney to Review My Case?

If you or a loved one are recovering from a car accident, please contact Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law for a free consultation. Our experienced legal team will discuss the accident report with you and offer options for pursuing damages.

If there is a way to recover some or all of your losses, we’ll find it. You never owe us anything until we successfully resolve your case, so please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.

Deepak Ahluwalia, the firm’s founder and managing partner, has been honored as one of the American Bar Association’s Top 40 Under 40 Lawyers. His remarkable achievements have garnered attention from national media platforms such as NPR, The Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, Los Angeles Times, BBC, and CNN.

With an unwavering commitment to providing legal assistance to those most in need, Mr. Ahluwalia steadfastly champions the rights of his clients, ensuring they receive the advocacy they deserve. Work with him when you call (559) 878-4958.