Fresno Truck Accident Lawyer
Without commercial trucks, our lives would look very different. Though these trucks play an important part in our economy, they also pose dangers for others on the road. Their large size and poor visibility can spell disaster in a collision. Accidents with tractor trailers and other commercial trucks are not uncommon, and they can cause severe injuries or even death to those involved.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, chances are that your lives have been turned upside down. Not only are you dealing with your injuries and worrying about the cost of covering their care, but you are likely also receiving phone calls from police officers, insurance companies, and lawyers. It can all feel very overwhelming, especially when the only thing you want to do is recover and return to your normal life.
If you are in this situation, contact an experienced Fresno truck accident attorney from Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law. One of our caring and compassionate attorneys will meet with you for a free, no-obligation consultation. During your confidential meeting, one of our lawyers will listen to your story and provide you with a personalized legal strategy to give you the best chance at recovering the compensation you need to rebuild your life.
Is It Necessary To Hire A Fresno Truck Accident Attorney?
If you or someone you love has been in an accident involving a tractor trailer, chances are that you or your family member sustained serious injuries. Serious injuries take serious care to heal, which can contribute to serious medical bills, both from the hospital immediately after the accident as well as through the course of any follow-up or long term care plans. If you have sustained severe injuries, you are likely unable to work, which can result in missed wages, causing those mounting hospital bills to become that much more worrisome.
Now is not the time to take on additional stress, or to attempt to navigate our complicated legal system on your own. After a scary accident, you should focus on yourself and your healing. The good news is that you can let someone else worry about negotiating with insurance companies, investigating the accident, and gathering important files and other relevant information to help prove your claim.
An experienced Fresno truck accident attorney from Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law can walk you through filing your claim while optimizing your strategy toward retrieving the most compensation possible. Once hired, one of our attorneys can take the lead on sorting everything out from your accident. We become the point of contact for anyone trying to reach you, and while you are busy resting and healing, we will be busy building your case and fighting for you. Our services not only help make the claims process easier, but they can also raise the value of your claim thanks to our knowledge from handling prior cases like yours.
What Are Common Causes of Trucking Accidents in Fresno?
Fresno is a large, bustling city with nearly a million residents. With so many people living there, it is no surprise that the streets are often home to traffic. In fact, Fresno is home to Highway 180, which has the distinction of being the most heavily traveled section of road in the San Joaquin Valley.
Big-rig drivers have a responsibility to other drivers on the road to operate and maintain their vehicle in a way that is safe and unlikely to cause harm. However, many accidents involving tractor trailers occur every day. An alarming number of these crashes are caused by commercial driver mistakes or negligence.
According to the Nation Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were almost 5,000 people in the United States who were killed in a trucking-related accident in 2020, while many more people were injured in these types of accidents. And unlike traffic accidents involving only smaller vehicles, where accidents can be minor, there is typically no such thing as a minor accident involving a tractor trailer.
A study conducted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) found that a surprising percentage of accident causes can be attributed to driver mistakes or negligence on the part of one or more parties. Some of the primary causes of truck accidents are listed below.
- Vehicle braking problems (27% of all large truck accidents)
- Traveling too fast (23%)
- Under the influence of over-the-counter drugs (17%)
- Unaware of their surroundings (14%)
- Fatigue (13%)
- Pressure to meet or exceed their schedule (10%)
- Distracted driver (10%)
- Illegal maneuver (9%)
- Inattentive (9%)
- Tire blowout (6%)
- Following too close (5%)
- Improperly secured cargo (4%)
- Illegal drugs or alcohol use (3%)
Added all together, these percentages equal over 100%, meaning that many semi truck accidents may be caused by several preventable factors at once. These combined factors contribute to many dangerous — and fatal — accidents.
What Are The Different Types of Truck Accidents?
Just as with any vehicle, there are a number of different accidents in which a tractor trailer can be involved. Some of these accidents tend to affect only the driver, while others can have an impact on multiple vehicles.
Jackknifing refers to an event where the trailer of a semi-truck pushes the front towing vehicle to one side, making the cab form a 90 degree or more acute angle with the trailer. This is called “jackknifing” because the event often creates a shape that resembles a pocket knife, or jackknife. This type of accident typically occurs because the truck is forced to brake quickly or tries to make a sudden turn while braking.
Rollover accidents happen because a truck driver loses control of their truck and rolls over on one side. These types of accidents typically occur when the driver is trying to make a turn. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration estimates that 78% of rollover accidents are caused by driver error.
Tire blowouts are not unique to tractor trailers; they can happen to any vehicle on the road. However, tire blowouts on large trucks have the ability to cause more damage than other, smaller vehicles. A wreck can occur when the tire blows out, as it can cause the driver to lose control of their truck. Additionally, the tire debris left in the road can also present a hazard to other drivers.
Incorrect Loading Practices
If the cargo that a truck is transporting is not loaded and secured correctly, it can cause danger to both the truck driver and other drivers on the road. If the load is not secured and is lost, accidents can occur because of the debris in the road. If the load is not secured tightly and is able to shift on the truck, the driver may lose control of the vehicle or possibly even roll over.
Commercial trucks are big and heavy, which means they take a long time to stop. If drivers have to suddenly brake but don’t have enough time or space to come to a complete stop, severe accidents can occur.
What Are Common Truck Accident Injuries?
It is rare that anyone gets into a minor accident involving a big rig, so many of the injuries that occur as the result of such an accident tend to be severe.
If you have been involved in an accident with a tractor trailer, it is imperative that you seek medical care as soon as possible, even if you don’t think that you’ve been injured.
Some of the most common injuries that occur from truck accidents are:
- Spinal Cord Injuries — Injuries to your spinal cord can cause issues with your head, neck, and back. Minor injuries can result in temporary pain, while severe spinal cord injuries can cause lifelong issues, resulting in paralysis or death
- Broken Bones — Broken bones are common in truck accidents, owing both to the size of the trucks and the severity of the impact from those trucks
- Internal Injuries — Internal injuries can range from punctured organs to significant internal bleeding. These injuries may not always be immediately obvious at the scene of the accident but will require significant medical care
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs) — TBIs can range from minor injuries, such as minor concussions, to severe injuries, which may result in long term complications, coma, or even death
- Bruises and Lacerations — Bruises and lacerations may not seem severe at first, but these injuries can lead to long-term complications, like infection or scarring.
- Wrongful Death — Unfortunately, wrongful death is not uncommon in major accidents involving big rigs.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you can always benefit from having an experienced Fresno truck accident attorney fighting for you. While you heal, your lawyer will be working to build your case against the party responsible for the accident. While you recuperate, your lawyer will be gathering evidence, talking to witnesses, and filing important court documents in order to ensure that you have the best chance at recovering the compensation you deserve in order to fully heal and get back to your life, the way it was before the accident.
Never Delay Medical Care After a Truck Crash
If you have been involved in a truck accident, it is very important that you seek medical care as soon as possible. Even if you don’t think that you’ve been injured, seeing a doctor is the best way to ensure that you are really ok. Some injuries, especially head injuries, may be slow to develop and may need to be diagnosed by a medical professional in order for you to get the care that you need.
Additionally, seeing a doctor ensures that your injuries are documented. Sometimes, lawyers defending at-fault parties or their insurance companies might try to claim that your injuries were caused by a pre-existing condition, or they may have happened because of a different incident, not because of the truck accident in question. Getting your medical chart started immediately after the accident provides evidence for your claims, which your lawyer can use to help you when seeking compensation.
What Should I Do After A Truck Accident?
If you have been in a truck accident in Fresno, it is likely that you may feel shaken or scared. It is understandable that you feel that way, and if you are able, the first thing you should do is work to calm yourself as much as possible.
Once you have done that, here are some next steps that you can take:
- Check Yourself for Injuries — It is possible that you may be injured without feeling it due to shock. Before alerting authorities, check over yourself and your passengers for any injuries, but be sure not to move anyone unless they are in danger.
- Call First Responders — If you are able, call 911 immediately. Try to remove yourself and others from any immediate danger. It is very important that you stay at the scene of the accident.
- Secure Your Vehicle — If possible, remove your vehicle from the road. If it’s not possible, turn on your flashers to alert other drivers of your accident.
- Talk With Police — Cooperate with the police and report the facts about what happened. They will use this information to complete an accident report. This report will be very important to you when you are ready to file your claim.
- Gather Information — If you are able, exchange information with the truck driver. You should try to get their name, company, commercial drivers license (CDL) number, insurance policy details, and contact information. Do not sign anything or share anything other than your basic information. You can also document the scene by taking pictures or videos of the property damage. You may also want to use this time to document any injuries you have received. If there are witnesses present, you may want to talk to them and gather their contact information.
- Seek Medical Treatment — Seek medical treatment promptly, even if you aren’t sure if you’re hurt.
- Contact Your Insurance Company — Alert your insurance company about the accident, but before relaying other information or signing anything, consult your attorney.
- Contact An Experienced Truck Accident Attorney — The experienced California truck accident lawyers at Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law will help you through every step of the process, including representing you with insurance companies and evaluating your claim to see if you can legally entitled to pursue compensation.
Work With an Experienced Fresno Truck Accident Attorney Team
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, we know your family is dealing with a lot. The medical bills, phone calls, and appointments can be overwhelming and exhausting, especially when you really just want to be able to spend time with your family and focus on recovering from your accident.
Fortunately, you don’t have to deal with all of this by yourself. The compassionate and experienced attorneys at Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law are here for you. Our lawyers will work tirelessly for you, taking as much off of your plate as possible. We will be with you every step of the way, and work to help you in whatever way we can.
Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our attorneys by Call (559) 878-4958 or Contact us online. We would love to talk with you, hear the details of your case, and work with you to provide you with the best legal strategy possible so that you have the best chance at receiving the compensation you deserve.