California Marriage Green Card Visa Lawyer

A married couple smiling with a large, American flag in the background.Meeting that special someone, falling in love, and getting married can be some of the most exciting times in someone’s life. However, finding yourself in a situation where you have to try to prove your love is real — on top of dealing with mountains of immigration paperwork — can be significantly less fun.

If you are getting married soon and considering applying for a green card, let an experienced California marriage green card visa lawyer take the stress and strain from you and your spouse, freeing you up to enjoy one of the best, most exciting times in your life.

An experienced attorney from Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law can help you and your family during this exciting time! When done on your own, applying for a green card can feel scary or overwhelming. However, if you place your trust in one of our excellent attorneys, you can rest assured that your case is being handled with care and experience. After your initial consultation, our attorneys can set to work, making sure that all necessary information and paperwork is being filed properly and in a timely manner. We will also prepare you for the process of interviewing, helping you anticipate common questions you may receive as well as reasons your application may be denied.

If you are ready to meet with an experienced marriage green card visa attorney, or are just interested in seeing how we can help you out,  don’t hesitate to contact Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law by calling (559) 878-4958 or filling out our online contact form. We look forward to hearing from you!

How Can a California Marriage Green Card Visa Attorney Help Me?

Obtaining a green card through marriage can be a difficult process, but having an experienced green card visa lawyer on your side can give your family the best chance at being able to live in the United States together. While there are many experienced lawyers in California, Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law are uniquely qualified to serve you and your family.

Our attorneys have over 40 years of combined experience in immigration law. Together, our lawyers have helped hundreds of thousands of people with their immigration cases.

Our attorneys understand the ins and outs of the incredibly complex immigration system in the United States, and we want to use that knowledge to help you. From working with individuals to consulting with large companies, our dedicated and experienced attorneys have seen it all. If you are ready to add your family to the list of satisfied clients at Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law, reach out to us today to schedule your confidential, no-obligation consultation.

Call (559) 878-4958 or Contact us online to speak with one of our experienced immigration lawyers today

What Is Required to Obtain a Marriage Green Card?

If you are married to a legal U.S. citizen or permanent resident and are looking to obtain a green card, there are a few requirements you must meet in order to be eligible for receiving this type of visa. You and your spouse must show the following:

  • That you are legally married
  • That you are in a “bona fide” marriage (meaning a real marriage, not one done for immigration purposes)
  • Proof of the petitioning spouse’s citizenship or permanent residence in the United States
  • That neither of you is married to someone else

Legal Marriage

A legal marriage is a marriage that is officially recognized by the government or state where you

were married. This specification generally means that some official certification can be obtained in order to prove the marriage actually happened.

Even though the sponsoring spouse must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, the wedding ceremony does not need to happen in the country to be considered a legal marriage. Many different marriage ceremonies are acceptable — from weddings to officiant ceremonies to traditional tribal practices — if those practices are considered valid in the country in which they took place.

No matter the type of ceremony performed, it is necessary that both you and your spouse are present at the wedding. Some individuals will try to get married at a distance, uniting later after paperwork has already been arranged. These are referred to as “proxy” marriages, and are not considered legal by the United States unless the marriage is properly conducted and consummated by the couple at a later date.

Bona Fide Marriage

A marriage is considered a “bona fide” marriage when the couple entering into the partnership is intent on sharing a life together. Though this can look different ways to different couples, it cannot apply to a marriage that occurs just so that an immigrant can obtain a green card. These marriages are considered fraudulent, and it is something that the U.S. government works hard to identify and stop.

The U.S. government can be strict when trying to determine if a marriage is fraudulent or not. They will ask a lot of questions during the application process. They will also look at your relationship and try to spot any “red flags” that may show a relationship is likely a scam, such as a large age gap or significant language barriers. Additionally, they will also require paperwork that shows that you are intent on building a life together, such as shared bank accounts or jointly owned property.

Even after approval, the married permanent resident may be subject to certain restrictions on travel and aspects of their stay for a period of two years.

Proof of Spouse’s Citizenship

Only U.S. citizens or permanent residents are legally able to obtain green cards for their spouses. In order to determine if your spouse is a legal citizen of the United States, they must either have been born in the U.S. or in one of its territories, become naturalized through application and testing, or acquired citizenship from a family member.

The naturalized spouse may be able to prove their citizenship through documents such as a birth certificate, U.S. passport, a naturalization certificate, or a certificate of citizenship.

Once a spouse has been issued a green card, they are considered a lawful permanent resident of the United States, and can eventually become citizens. Green card-holding spouses are also eligible for a green card.

However, a green card does not guarantee citizenship with no restrictions. If your spouse “abandons” their residence by moving to another country or commits certain crimes, they may lose their permanent residence. If this happens before your green card application is completed, you are no longer eligible for a green card through your marriage.

You and Your Spouse’s Only Marriage

If you or your spouse have been married before, the marriage must have ended by legal means (such as divorce, annulment, or death) before you are eligible for another marriage. You will be required to submit legal paperwork to prove that the previous marriage ended.

What Are The Steps For Applying For a Marriage Green Card?

If you have determined that you are eligible for a marriage green card, there are three steps to complete the application process. They are:

  • Submit Form I-130 and any other applicable documents
  • Submit your green card application (Form I-185 or Form DS-260)
  • Attend your green card interview and receive results

Submit Form I-130

This form is used to establish that you have a valid marriage to a citizen or green card holder of the United States. You will also be asked to provide documents, such as your marriage certificate, as well as evidence that you and your spouse are planning a life together. This evidence can be photographs, correspondence, lease agreements, or joint bank accounts, for example.

Submit Green Card Application

There are different processes that you will need to take based on where you are living at the time of your application. If you are living in the United States, you will be asked to submit various other documents with this application, including things such as a birth certificate, proof of lawful entry into the U.S., proof of an official medical examination, and documents showing that your spouse can support you financially.

Attend the Green Card Interview

The primary purpose of this interview is for U.S. officials to determine if your marriage is legitimate. The interviewer may ask you questions about your relationship with your spouse, your daily activities, and any future plans you have as a couple.

They may ask extra questions if anything about your application suggests fraud, such as a large age gap, significant language barrier, religious differences, or having a different address than your spouse.

If you are applying while living in the United States, your spouse will be expected to attend the interview. If the interview results in your marriage being deemed legitimate, you should be able to receive your green card within 2 to 3 weeks.

Contact an Experienced California Marriage Green Card Visa Attorney

As you can see, the process of obtaining a green card can be overwhelming and difficult to understand. In such a high-stakes process, it makes sense to hire an experienced attorney who has extensively worked with immigration law in the United States. They will help you prepare for a host of likely scenarios based on their experience and your specific situation.

If you are thinking of applying for a green card, first contact an experienced attorney from Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law. They will ensure that your paperwork is organized and submitted in the correct process while preparing you for the interview process, leaving you with the ability to live your life with minimal worry.

Contact us today by Call (559) 878-4958 or Contact us online . We speak Hindi, Punjabi, Spanish, and English. We look forward to hearing from you so we can begin the process of securing your permanent residency in the United States!