A black male student and white female student wearing backpacks and holding up American flags.California Student Visa Lawyer

Applying to a college, university, vocational program or any other program of study can be tedious and stressful enough on its own, but having to apply for a student visa to study in the United States on top of that can feel overwhelming — maybe even downright impossible.  Different schools have different admissions requirements, just as different visa types have different eligibility criteria. Trying to sort everything out on your own can be confusing and potentially disruptive to your intended plans.

If you are considering coming to the United States to pursue a program of study, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to hire an experienced student visa lawyer. Not only can an experienced attorney walk you through the entire process from beginning to end, but they can also ensure that all your paperwork is filed correctly and thoroughly, eliminating the chance that your visa might be denied due to clerical errors. Your lawyer will also help you prepare for the interview process, including any potential reasons you may be denied your visa or asked to provide further information before it can be issued.

The immigration attorneys at Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law are here to help you. With over 40 years of combined immigration law experience, our attorneys have worked with hundreds of thousands of clients over the years, helping them to successfully navigate the immigration system in the United States. If you are ready to work with compassionate, experienced student visa lawyers, reach out to us today by Call (559) 878-4958 or Contact us online . We look forward to hearing from you!

How Can A California Student Visa Lawyer Help Me?

Applying for a student visa can be exciting, but having to sit down and fill out pages of paperwork while trying to wade through all the various qualifications and eligibility requirements is certainly not.

On top of trying to figure out which student visa you should apply for, you will also need to be very certain that you are submitting all required paperwork and documentation necessary. If there is an error, even just related to paperwork, your application could be denied or delayed to the point that it puts your program’s timeline in jeopardy.

Luckily, an experienced California student visa lawyer can help you navigate this entire process. From helping you figure out which student visa best suits your particular situation to ensuring that the entire process is done thoroughly and without errors, our lawyers at Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law are here for you.

Our attorneys have decades of experience in immigration law and have worked with many situations – from helping individuals obtain visas to consulting with large companies on immigration matters. Contact us today to see how we can help lift some of the stress and streamline the process of applying for a student visa in California.

Call (559) 878-4958 or Contact us online to speak with one of our experienced immigration lawyers today

What Are The Different Types of Student Visas?

When applying for a student visa to study in California, you have three visa types to choose from. Which visa is right for you will depend on a number of factors, with the most important being what program you are working on completing while you are in the United States.

The three types of student visas are F visa, J visa, or M visa.

Regardless of which visa you are applying for, you must be able to show that you have already been accepted by a SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) approved school. Only SEVP-certified schools will be able to issue a Form I-20 for F and M visas, which is a mandatory document in your visa application.

F Visas

F visas are intended for international students interested in pursuing an academic degree at any American college or university. Additionally, you could be eligible for an F visa if you are attending an intensive language institute with the intent of studying English.

There are three types of F visas:

  • F1 Visa — a visa issued to a full-time student
  • F2 Visa — a visa issued to unmarried children under the age of 21 or the spouse of an F1 visa holder
  • F3 Visa — a visa issued to students from Canada or Mexico who are still living in their home country but travel to the United States to attend school, either part or full time.

Foreign students holding an F1 visa can enter the United States within 30 days of the start of their academic program and can stay for up to 60 days after the completion of their program. It is worth noting that any student holding an F1 visa can earn money through working, but only when complying with certain restrictions. These restrictions are set by guidelines from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Your student visa lawyer can help you understand these restrictions and prepare for success within your intended program.

Additionally, F1 visa holders can receive up to a year of Optional Practice Training (OPT), which is temporary employment related to their area of study. This training can take place either before or after the visa-holder has completed their academic program of study.

M Visas

M Visas are meant for international students who want to enter the United States to complete either vocational or non-academic programs at an American institute.

There are three types of M Visas, which include:

  • M1 Visa — a visa issued to the student enrolled in a vocational or non-academic program
  • M2 Visa —  a visa issued to the dependents or spouse of the M1 visa holder.
  • M3 Visa — a visa issued to border commuters, very similar to the F3 visa.

Students with an M1 visa are only allowed to be in the United States for a fixed amount of time, generally aligning with the length of the program they are working on completing. Usually, M1 visa holders are not allowed to work off-campus and may not change their status to F1 visas.

J Visas

J visas are intended for international exchange students who travel to the United States to participate in cultural exchange programs. Some programs that utilize this type of exchange may be in the area relating to teaching, medicine, and business, though that is not an exhaustive list. These programs are either run by private institutions or the government sector, and those programs set the eligibility criteria.

These visas are not long-term. J visa holders are generally allowed to stay in the United States for one or two semesters, and then must return to their home country for at least two years after the end of their exchange program.

As listed above, there are many different student visas, each with their own rules, guidelines, and criteria. If you are thinking about coming to the United States to complete a program of study, an attorney with immigration law experience can help make your visa application process as smooth as possible.

Contact an Experienced Visa Attorney Today

If you are thinking about extending your studies at one of the excellent institutions or universities in California, congratulations! We know how excited you must be! However, before your dream becomes a reality, there is a complex visa application system that you must first navigate. This system can be complicated, confusing, and overwhelming.

At Singh Ahluwalia Attorneys at Law, we have over 40 years of experience helping our clients handle all types of immigration situations. Allow us to help you with your student visa application process – there is no need to try to navigate this system by yourself! Free up your mind from the stress and strain of making sure that you do everything perfectly by allowing our expert attorneys to do the work for you. You can also know what factors help students have a high chance of a successful interview and how to prepare for common reasons for delay or denial.

Call (559) 878-4958 or Contact us online by completing our online contact form. Our experienced legal staff can discuss your visa matters in English, Spanish, Punjabi, and Hindi. Schedule a no-obligation consultation with us so we can start helping your dreams become a reality.